Friday, August 22, 2008

Sweet Party Favors Tutorial

My Little One LOVES arts and crafts. She is always up to something. Cutting, pasting, beading, painting... she is so creative! She is off to kindergarten in a week and a half. Which has been the main reason for my absence from blogging this month. We've been spending LOTS of family time together... and LOVING every minute of it! I will most definitely get back into the swing of things in a couple of weeks. I promise.


Here is a fun and quick (kid friendly) project that was originally created with Play-Doh!
The Little One did most of the work in creating this project.
I just basically changed the materials.
We thought these little magnets would make fun party favors or little gifties for teachers.

"Candy" Magnet Supplies:
Sculpey Clay (2 or 3 different colors)
Cellophane
Ribbon
Round Magnets
Tacky Glue

1. Break off a small piece of the clay. We used 1/12 of the bar.
Knead the clay and roll it into a snake about 5" long. Repeat with your other colors.


2. Twist the different colored snakes together.


3. Roll this bumpy snake between your hands to make it nice and smooth.


4. Coil this snake into a wheel to form a candy.


5. Follow the directions on the Sculpey package to harden the clay in the oven.
After baking, allow to cool.

6. Cut a piece of cellophane to wrap around the candy. Be sure to cut it large enough to leave excess on the ends. Put a dab of tacky glue on the back of the candy and wrap the piece in the cellophane. Twist the ends to resemble a real wrapped candy. Glue a magnet to the back.

Easy peasy. And sooo cute!

More ideas:
Package a bunch in a clear bag with a cute topper.
Coat the candies in a shiny clear gloss before wrapping, for a more realistic effect.
Add a stick to the coiled clay before baking to make lollipops.
Add a hanger to them instead of a magnet for sweet ornaments.
Be sure to try them in holiday colors too!

How about one more quick little activity?
All you need is:

CANDY!!!
(Gummies, gumdrops, and hollow licorice work best. Or you could use Cheerios, raisins, and other dried fruit? Nahhhhh.)
You'll also need a needle and waxed dental floss.

Simply string the candies onto the floss to create a unique (and yummy) necklace.
Note: The needle can get pretty sticky and be a little tricky... be sure to help young children with the stringing part. Or give them a licorice whip and let them string on lifesavers or other candies with holes, and skip the needle part all together.

AND... the winner of this week'd $25 gift certificate to Speckled Egg is:

JULIE W.!

I'll be back next Friday with another fun tutorial and $25 gift certificate winner.
To enter the drawing, just leave a comment on any post for the month of August.
(Each purchase made on the website enters you in the giveaway as well.)
All the details of Speckled Egg's 4th Birthday Celebration can be found here.

Have a great weekend!!!

28 comments:

Cindy (JunqueArt) said...

Such cute ideas!!! Thanks for sharing! So glad you are having fun with you little one. I hope she has a wonderful Kindergarten year. They grow up before you know it!

vintagebella ~ andrea said...

cute! thank you heather ! my package arrived and I am so happy with it all especially the ribbon is just gorgeous !!! willpost pics on my blog! I am having a giveaway so come by!

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing these cute ideas. That candy magnet is so adorable! The only problem I might have with the candy necklace is that I'd eat all the candy before getting it strung! lol

CupcakeDD said...

Woo-hoo!! I won!! I won!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Sherry said...

So cute! Thanks for sharing Heather!! You have wonderful ideas!!

Happy Saturday!
Sherry

Wanda said...

I loved those ideas. It's great that you can do them with your kids as well.

Michele-thisgoodday said...

Love these two quick and easy ideas, and especially that I can do them with the youngens. Thanks!!!!
michele :)

Pieceful Bits said...

such a fun mommy you are!!!

That magnet is truly yummy!

Julie
(~~)

Paper Cat Designs said...

What a cleaver little idea! Just a fantastic project! Thank you for sharing that.

Cheers! =D
~Kellie

elizabethholcombe said...

How in teh world could you make that fabulous candy garland and NOT eat the candy as you were making it????~~~WOW! I love that!~~~XXOO, Beth

Sugar Bear said...

What great ideas. The magnets are perfect and so sweet. How wonderful to have a creative chip off the block!
Karla

Jeanne said...

What sweet party favors! Thanks for sharing the How-Tos!
xo
jeanne

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

What fabulous ideas! I want to throw a Candyland party now, just so I can use these! I'll be linking to them in tonight's Weekend Roundup as well.

Beth Quinn said...

awesome tutorials heather !! soo cute ! xo,
beth

Alison Gibbs said...

Heather what fun tutorials.
Thanks
Alison

Nicole Austin said...

I love this project! I have a little one at home and I think this would make such a sweet treat. I'm sure there will be lots of tasting as we create("one for me, one for the necklace, one for me...") ;)

Nicole

Viv (VivLyn) said...

These are such cute ideas and so doable! TFS!

LaurieStar said...

Love the play-doh. Thought it was real! Enjoy your time with your daughter. You can never have too much!

Robyn said...

OH my this is so clever! I am so going to make these! How cute is that!

Congrats to the winner!

Come by and see the last installment of my mystery trip!
Cheers!

Natalea said...

Heather- what a great tutorial! I am in the middle of hosting a candy-themed swap and I'll have to send over my swappers to check this out!
Also- I gave you a little blog award so come over for a visit! xo natalea

Lilli said...

Thanks so much for the sweet how-to! I'm thinking it's pretty close to how they do it in the lollipop factories :)

tales from an O.C. cottage said...

Hooooooooooow cute!!! Just darling!

M ^..^

Marie Antionette said...

What cute party favors.I made candy canes a few Christmases ago for a tree i was making.Never thought to make the roll up candy.That would make cute ornaments.Hug Marie Antionette

Holly said...

Hi, Heather, I'm Holly! It's so wonderful that you have tutorials! Thanks a lot. You're going in my favorites right away!

~ Hearts~

Shabbee Chick said...

Just stumbled upon your blog and it is fab-oo! I'll definitely be back! Thanks for the fun project idea!

Kara Ward said...

I just love this idea. So cool, I am heading to the craft store today to make some...thanks for sharing. Kara

Kara Ward said...

I just love this idea. So cool, I am heading to the craft store today to make some...thanks for sharing. Kara

sara's art house said...

LOVE the candy necklace!!!