Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Marshmallow Snowmen Tutorial

Thank you for the sweet emails and comments about the ice storm. It has been a crazy experience... hopefully a "once in a lifetime" thing. We are really lucky though, some of the people in the more rural areas may not see power for weeks. Can you imagine?!? Yikes.


I've suddenly received a bunch of emails asking for directions for these Marshmallow Snowman Pops that I posted a photo of last year. I've been making them for several years for little friends and classmates. The kids LOVE them! I can't take credit for the idea... there was a kit to make them at a gourmet shop that I had visited. It was about $20 and only made 3-4 pops (which I thought was a little steep!) This is my less expensive version. I don't have the supplies on hand to do a proper tutorial, but here are the directions.

Supplies:
Large marshmallows ( 3 per pop)
Long lollipop sticks (these are about 7" long)
White chocolate candy melts (available at craft or baking shops)
Mini M&Ms
Waxed Paper
Cellophane Bags & Ribbon

1. Push 3 marshmallows onto the sticks. The stick should come about 3/4 of the way through the top marshmallow(the head), but should not poke all the way through. The marshmallows should be touching each other (no gaps in between). The flat sides should all face up.
2. Melt white chocolate according to the package directions in a medium bowl.
3. Working quickly, dip marshmallow pops into the white chocolate. The marshmallows need to be completely covered, or they will get hard and yucky. Shake slightly to allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper. While the chocolate is still wet, add M&Ms for eyes, nose and buttons.
4. Allow chocolate to set. Peel from waxed paper and wrap in cellophane. Tie with ribbon and store in a cool place.

Tips:
*If the chocolate starts to get too thick, you may need to re-melt it.
*Add some other decorations to the snowmen. Maybe pretzel stick arms or a scarf made from a fruit roll-up.


27 comments:

Sugar Bear said...

Oh these are too cute! Thanks for giving us the directions.
Karla

luckygirlgifts said...

I have another tip. I noticed you used the really white melty chocolate. It does tend to be a bit thick. If you add a little Crisco to it before you melt it, it will be the perfect consistency. You'll have to experiment a little, it all depends on how much you melt at a time.
Those are absolutely adorable by the way. You did an amazing job. I'm sure mine would look so much messier.
thanks for the fantastic idea.
cari B.

Cindy (JunqueArt) said...

So cute! Thanks for the tutorial! So glad your electricity is back on! Kids are home from school today because of ice on the roads but nothing like you guys have! Stay warm and safe!

pinkroses said...

I've been loving these since I saw your picture on Flickr last year! Thanks for the instructions! xo suzanne duda

Heidi said...

Thanks for the instructions! They were featured on the blog The Crafty Crow last week, so that's why you're getting all the requests. They're darling!

Jennifer Conway said...

Thanks for sharing! My kids are going to LOVE these! Come on....marshmallows and chocolate...together!! *smiles*
~Jen

Dapoppins said...

I have seen these before, but yours are by far the cutest!

Kari said...

Super cute! Thanks for the tut. Always up for great teacher and kiddie gifts. BTW- did you get my little package of goodies yet? Hope so! Enjoy.
Happy Holiday's!
Kari

Amy from Texas said...

These are really cute. I tried this at Halloween and made ghosts, but the marshmallows got stuck in the chocolate. I ended up doing them without dipping them and they were still really cute and less mess for me:-)

I'll have to try again with snowmen.

SweetPeaknits said...

Ooohhh i love these. I'm making these with the kids tomorrow. thank you so so much.

Jules said...

I love these! I am definitely going to make these for my son's preschool class. Pefect for those who have peanut allergies as well. Everyone can enjoy these snowmen. :) You're the best and your blog is such an insirpation to me! Keep it up, I look forward to your posts.
Jules

Kudzu said...

Oh, how cute!!!! I know all three of my grandchildren would just LOVE these :D I bet they can make some for themselves to give as gifts :D
Thanks for the inspiration!
Kudzu

Paula said...

Oh my I love these! Thanks we are going caroling tomorrow and these will be a perfect treat for the hostess! Thanks

Elyse said...

adorable. thank you for sharing!!!

Alicia said...

These are adorable-I'm going to make them for my son's class!!! Any idea the best place to get the lollipop sticks? By the way, saw you on One Pretty Thing.

Lori said...

oh my!!! how adorable:)
have a very Merry Christmas Heather!!! thanks for the merry wishes you left with me:)

LW said...

How cute....

thank you,

Louise

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

OMG!!! These are the cutest things...ever! This is what my children and I will be making over the holiday break! Thanks you, thank you, thank you!
Merry christmas!

Paula said...

Thanks we made these and are already in need of a second batch! I linked your site. Thanks for the idea.

Tammy said...

These are so cute! Fun for kids to make, too. Thanks for sharing. Glad you all weatered the storm well. The ice encrusted branches are so pretty to see from a distance.
Tammy

Mrs.Kwitty said...

Awww--those are really cute! and sound yummy too. Thanks for sharing!
Smiles, Karen

Donna @ Party Wishes said...

My kids made these for the neighbors and they were a big hit. The 11 year old next door ripped the wrapper off and started eating it before we could say "Merry Christmas"! Happy New Year!

ranae said...

these are great! i am going to try them with yellow candy melts and make marshmallow catepillar pops!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just found this page and I am so excited. I was searching for a snowman pop recipe to use for my daughter's kindergarten class. This is perfect!! I have one question, it may be silly, but what is the best way to melt the white chocolate? I have made Hello Kitty pops before and melted the chocolate in the microwave. It became too thick to work with. I read to add some Crisco, but do you use the microwave or stove top? Thanks.

Heather
Greenville, SC

Erika said...

These are great. My daughter and I will be making them today for her Kindergarten class. We bought 3 bags of marshmallows, and they are all squished looking so I hope they turn out ok!

Courtney Q. said...

So stinking cute! I have a question. What do you melt your chocolate in that you can dip an item that long? I need something tall and thing to melt the chocolate in so they can be dipped just right, any suggestions?

tmchoops said...

These are great. I will be doing these tonight with my son!!!