Friday, May 1, 2009

May Baskets

How lovely are these? I picked them up yesterday at a little sale put on by the Senior Center. I remember making these with my grandmother when I was little. We'd fill them with little candies and flowers from the yard. Then we'd load them in my red wagon and deliver them to her neighbors. Sadly, it seems as though the May Day traditions (at least in our area) have died out.
The crepe paper they used is fabulous. Nice and thick, not like the crepe you can buy today. It must have come from someone's stash from long ago. The ruffles are all sewn, and then twisted by hand. I can only imagine how much time was put into each of them. It breaks my heart that they were selling them for just $2 each...


I also participated in ArtsyMama's May Basket Swap! I was thrilled to be paired up with Heidi. She has a lovely etsy shop filled with vintage treasures that you MUST check out!


This is the beautiful package she sent me! A vintage hat box filled with vintage treats. The box itself is fantastic! Plus it was stuffed with trims, a lovely vase, necklaces, ephemera, millinery flowers... all in gorgeous shades of blue.


My favorites were this adorable crocheted doll dress ( I feel a new collection coming on!) and this sweet old photo! Thank you SO much, Heidi!!!!


This is the "basket" that I mailed to her.


Heidi said she liked metals, rusty things, old papers, poem books, millinery, and art bits. I had a lot of fun hunting for treasures for her! Such a fun swap!

7 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Heather! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such kind comments....I love May Day and I think those little baskets you found are just charming....old crepe paper is so fun to work with...Hope to see you again soon...I will be back..
Be well, Laura

ArtsyMama said...

Heather,
These baskets are DARLING!! I would have bought a dozen:) hehe. Also love the swap goodies. So glad you enjoyed it. What amazing baskets were given and received.
Happy May Day!!

barbara burkard said...

those little baskets are adorable! i have a couple of those little crocheted dresses/hot pads too! fun stuff!!!

Alison Gibbs said...

Hi Heather how gorgeous the May Baskets are.
Looks like a fun swap.
Alison

Stephenie said...

Your little baskets are just adorable....Love the goodies Heidi sent you..Love the color scheme..That basket you sent was quite amazing to...
STephenie

kate said...

Hi Heather,
Love your May Day Baskets, please ck out our Blog on May Day!!
Best to you
kate

Recycled Rita said...

where did you find that awesome birdcage? I just love it!
Love your canvas also, I was in both swaps and they were alot of fun! karen....
recycledrita.blogspot.com